Location

Praia a Mare is a town on the northern-west coast of Calabria of almost 7,000 inhabitants. Originally populous village of fishermen and farmers, was initially the maritime village of the town of Aieta and became independent only in 1928.
Of uncertain etymology, Praia derives from “Plaga Sclavorum” (or Plaga Slavorum) or the Sclavoni beach (or Slavoni), in the presence of a large colony of Slavs, expert sailors sent by the Emperor of the East Niceporo Foca (963-969), who wanted to counter the dominance of the Saracens.
The city has undergone a remarkable development in the 60s and 90s, thanks to the investments of the Marzotto Group and Agnelli. Today it is one of the most beautiful tourist destinations of Calabria, especially for the sea and for its natural beauties, artistic and religious situated in the territory.


Visualizzazione ingrandita della mappa

Dino Island

Photo Dino IslandDear at all times to mariners, Ulysses and Aeneas certainly arrived there, today is a short swim from the shore and remains one of the more striking beauty of the whole coast Calabrian of the west. On the western coast are the remains of a temple to Venus.
Owned by the Municipality of Praia until 1962, the island was later sold to private entrepreneurs, with the aim of accelerating its development.

Tower of Fiuzzi

Photo Tower of FiuzziThe tower of Fiuzzi was built for defensive purposes and sighting in the sixteenth century, when the Saracen raids and turchesche scourged the entire south; then, in the nineteenth century, the tower passed to families Candia-Lomonaco. Among other things, the tower hosted in the upper part one of the first telegraphs.
Now the tower, property of the family Maisto (operating for decades in the tourism sector), has been renovated and restored, waiting to be used for cultural purposes.

Castle of the Forrest

Photo Castle of the ForrestThe first construction back to the Norman-Angevin period. The castle was almost certainly realized ​​by Charles, Duke of Calabria, son of Robert, king of Naples, in the early decades of the 1300s, in defense by the Aragonese, and redeveloped in the form we see today, in the early seventeenth century, by a descendant of the marquis family Cosentini. Even today, the castle is owned by the heirs of the Marquis “Don Alessandro Cosentini”, recently deceased, and is used as a summer residence.

Fort Fumarulo

Photo Fort FumaruloIt was built on an old defense tower, dating from before 1500, while the current form is of the first half of 1800, when it was used as a guard post along the coast. From the early 1900s and for several years has hosted the middle school and the grammar school in Praia a Mare.

How to get to Praia a Mare

Coming from North (Campania-Basilicata):
Motorway A3 – Exit Lagonegro North or Lauria North and then State Road 585 Fondo Valle del Noce.

Coming from South (Calabria):
Motorway A3 – Exit Cosenza, continue to Paola and to take the SS 18 with North direction.